Aug. 29 (UPI) — The two children killed in Wednesday’s church shooting in Minneapolis have been identified by their families.
The two children were killed Wednesday when a gunman opened fire at the church of the Annunciation Catholic School where students and parishioners had been assembled for Mass.
Jesse Merkel identified one of the deceased as his 8-year-old son, Fletcher Merkel, during a press conference outside of the school on Thursday.
“Yesterday, a coward decided to take our 8-year-old son, Fletcher, away from us. Because of their actions, we will never be allowed to hold him, talk to him, play with him and watch him grow into the wonderful young man he was on the path to becoming,” Jesse Merkel said.
“Fletcher loved his family, friends, fishing, cooking and any sport that he was allowed to play.”
He added that they are not asking for sympathy, but empathy as his family and the community grieve.
“Please remember Fletcher for the person he was and not the act that ended his life,” he said.
The second deceased victim was identified as 10-year-old Harper Moyski, according to a statement from the family.
“Harper was a bright, joyful and deeply loved 10-year-old whose laughter, kindness and spirit touched everyone who knew her,” Michael Moyski and Jackie Flavin said in the statement.
“Our hearts are broken not only as parents, but also for Harper’s sister, who adored her big sister and is grieving an unimaginable loss. As a family, we are shattered, and words cannot capture the depth of our pain.”
Eighteen others, including 15 children aged 6 and 15 and three adult parishioners in their 80s, were wounded in the shooting.
The Minneapolis Police Department earlier Thursday increased the casualty count from 17 after an identifying another injured child.
The suspect, 23-year-old Robin Westman, reportedly a former student and transgender woman, was found dead at the scene from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.
Police said in a statement the shooter used three different firearms in the shooting, with officers recovering 116 rifle casings, three shotgun shells and one live pistol round from the scene.
Video surveillance of the shooting confirmed the gunman was unable to enter the church and fired into the church from outside.
“The practice of locking the doors once Mass began likely prevented a worse incident,” the Minneapolis Police Department said. “At the same time, the suspect attempted to barricade a door from the outside, preventing exit from the church.”
Mayor Jacob Frey said following the shooting that “it could have been far worse.”
A motive for the shooting was not clear.
On Thursday, police said four search warrants were executed at the church and three other locations in the Metro Minneapolis area, resulting in officers finding additional firearms.
Hundreds of pieces of evidence were also recovered, they said.